Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club


I know it's been ages since I've posted anything here...the only excuse that I have is that my reasoning that "not even the desert heat can stop my clacking needles" was an erroneous statement! For some reason, I just haven't felt much like sitting with an afghan draped across my lap when it's 115 outside! Perhaps the lesson learned is that it's not wise to begin large projects right as you're approaching the hottest part of the year! Oh well, I'm coming along slowly but surely and hope to finish in the coming weeks.

In the mean time, my lack of knitting as allowed me to keep up with my reading. The other day, I discovered The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club by Gil McNeil and thought it looked worth the read. Although the book is an enjoyable read, I was quite surprised how little the book had to do with the actual knitting club.

The main plot of the story is that a young divorced woman moved away from her busy London life to raise her two children in a smaller seaside town, all while managing her grandmother's yarn shop. While the story does revolve around knitting, the actual knitting group is almost non-existence (appearing on perhaps 10 the 400 pages!) Still, even though the plot was completely unoriginal - the book, like a good romantic comedy, provided a pleasurable escape!

No comments:

Post a Comment